Saturday, October 06, 2007

Meek and Quiet Spirit

For my lady readers:

About 4 weeks ago I joined a Life Transformation Group (LTG) with two other women from our church. An LTG is basically a group of 2-3 people of the same gender who meet weekly to pray for the lost, discuss an agreed upon passage, ask accountability questions and encourage each other in their walks with God. My group decided to read 1 Peter for the first few weeks. There was a passage (well, more than one) that stood out to me in particular.

1 Peter 3:1-6 “Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives, when they see your respectful and pure conduct. Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious. For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands, as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord. And you are her children, if you do good and do not fear anything that is frightening.”

The part about that “gentle and quiet spirit” that is precious (very precious) to God and the end that talks about doing good and not fearing anything that is frightening really stuck out to me. I’ve read this passage many times, but I really wanted to ponder this passage. I just “happened” upon a study guide that I have called “Homeschooling With A Meek And Quiet Spirit.” So I pulled it out and am about half way through. I am so enjoying it and the scriptures. Last week I looked up the definition of MEEK and QUIET. Interesting.

MEEK: humbly patient, gentle, courteous, kind, not likely to complain, argue or react strongly.

QUIET: making no noise, silent, restrained in speech and manner, being at rest, tranquil, peaceful, making no disturbance or trouble, moving very gently, free from disturbing thoughts and emotions, to make tranquil or peaceful, to calm mentally.

I listed how my life differs from the above definitions. I often lack humble patience, I am likely to complain, argue and react strongly. I am often not restrained in speech and I am often not free from disturbing thoughts. Bummer. I am far from where I’d like to be. The next verse I read gave me such wonderful hope:

Philippians 1:6 “And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.”

I then listed the “works” that God has begun in me that I can see progress in. I am more of a thankful person, I have lower stress in parenting, I am more extroverted, I am more open sexually with my husband, I am more open to God’s leading and my following that lead. Now, I have not attained in these areas, but over the last 8-10 years have seen vast improvement…Praise His Name!

Isaiah 41:10 “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”

I then had to list my top five “Meek and Quiet Spirit Robbers” and find scriptures for each to help me think about truth in that situation. Boy was this interesting! I’ll share mine with you and I’d encourage you other gals out there to do the same. It’s a great exercise to get your focus back on what matters as you deal with the situations.

1. Screaming/crying/whining child:
Psalm 34:1 “I will bless the Lord at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth.” And Psalm 46:10 “Be still, and know that I am God.”
2. Bickering Children:
Ephesians 4:31-32 “Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.”
3. Finding big messes in and around the house:
Phil 4:6-7 “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
4. Bad attitudes in the children when it comes to chores or school work:
Psalm 46:1 “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” Psalm 18:6 “In my distress I called upon the Lord; to my God I cried for help.”
5. Thinking about things Desi has not done:
Phil 4:8 “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.”

Just wanted to share with you! I’d love to hear back from you about what God is teaching you lately (if you so feel led). May God’s peace and joy fill you today.
~Rose

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Reading your blog always makes me happy and encouraged. These verses spoke to my heart, especially because I struggle with all of these things every day. I really appreciate you! Thanks for posting this awesome reminder!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Rose, for ministering to me again and again. I love to hear what the Lord is teaching you. You are touching the hearts of many. As a matter of fact, I was at a wedding shower today and a lady said that she loves you and loves to read your blog every day. The funny part was that she has never even met you, but looks forward to meeting you at Tim's wedding in November. Pretty cool to see what God is doing through your blog.
Love,
Grandma Jan

beckwanda said...

hey rose, if it's true that he doesn't pick up after himself is it ok to think about that?
hahaha just kidding.
i know. i am no help at all.
but thanks so much for the encouragement. i can't possibly use this small forum to convey all that the Lord is teaching me right now so i think we will have a full time hanging out at glen ivy in nov.
by the way, the zoo pics made me really miss my grandma.
hey jan, wanna go to the zoo sometime?
:)

Anonymous said...

Sure Becky, I'll go to the zoo with you and be your grandma for now if you'll hug me and tell me that you love me and let me make smiley faces on your pancakes for you.
Love,
Grandma Jan

McNeill Family said...

Scott and I have been having some great conversations lately about what it means to truly be "happy". My happiness seems to be based on circumstances. This can only lead to discontentment because my circumstances are always changing and always contain hiccups. We need Gods Amazing Grace to be able to truly be "happy"!