Monday, October 08, 2007

Homeschool Weekly Digest

Last week was pretty normal as far as school goes. I didn't take any pics (except for when we went to this new park in Denver-the most fun park we've ever been to...and somehow the wonderful pictures I took got deleted...what a bummer. I am so frusterated!) Well, maybe that will make me more careful when deleting photos in the future. I am trying to look on the positive side when I'm still missing the 50 or so photos that are gone!

Back to Hope's week. She finished her 1st math book this week and will start in on the next one soon. We started to memorize Matthew 7:24 "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock." One game we play to memorize it is to print out the verse in large font, cut it up into 2 word sections and mix them up. Hope puts them together like a puzzle. Another is to use a white board to write it out and then I erase one or two words at a time and Hope reads the verse.

For history we have moved onto Benjamin Franklin. Between the books we read from her curriculum and the 4 we borrowed from the library (LOVE THE PUBLIC LIBRARY...which was an invention of Ben Franklin...thank you very much!). Hope had to summarize what we learned. After I wrote everything we knew about him down, she chose a few things and came up with this:
We finished The Courage Of Sarah Nobel on Monday and used a part of it for Hope's Thursday dictation exercise. At the library this week, I found a Nancy Drew Mystery (written at a younger level) that we'll read until our next scheduled chapter book. Hope loves to have me read to her and I find it quite a joy to snuggle in the bed downstairs and take time to do that with her.
Hope did well on her spelling test missing only one word. Chair. For the words she misses, I have her write the word on one side of a 3x5 card and draw a picture or write a sentence leaving that word blank on the other. She can then quiz herself using her own cards.

~Rose

5 comments:

McNeill Family said...

Bummer about the pics. I am so afraid that someday my disks will get scratched or disappear and I will lose all of my pictures. I keep saying I am going to get at least one hard copy of every pic but never have the $$$$. I should do just 1 disk at a time! I love the memorization tips, I am going to try them this week!

Paul and Kameron Morton said...

I was just thinking how cool it is for you to be posting all this stuff... my mom saved every scrap of my school work from kindergarten to 12 grade (and I'm not exaggerating) and quite a bit of my brother's and sister's work too and now has to go through boxes full of old papers in the garage. Blogging (especially since it all gets saved on someone else's server) seems like a great way to archive school!
Thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Hope,
I love the stories and scripture that you are doing in school. Last time you read to me about Sarah Nobel she was just meeting the children. Please call me and tell me why she decided to go home. Did she have a good time making friends?
Love,
Grandma Jan

beckwanda said...

Grandma Jan,
I have never heard of Sarah Noble and I googled her but didn't come up with anything significant. After Hope fills you in on who she is and why she is historically important, can you please give me a call and impart your knowledge of Sarah Noble upon me? Thanks so much. I can't wait until I see Hope in November to find out. The suspense is killing me...
Oh wait. No, it's just the hormone imbalance.
-Becky

beckwanda said...

By the way, thanks to you Rose, I am SOOOO looking forward to homeschooling Johnny.