Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Discipleship and Junk

So, I caused a bit of a stir with my post (two below) in regards to raising my children. I hope to clarify my thoughts here. First, that article is not how I feel about things...for me it sparked the fact that our kids are being influenced. For me it sparked the thought of discipleship and how we as Christian parents are responsible for discipling our kids and teaching them that they are to disciple their kids. I do feel that home education is a great way to do that, but not the only way!

My husband and sister in law are great examples of two people who went through the public school system and came out the other end walking with God. I think the biggest reason they were was 1. God was covering them and 2. Their parents were VERY involved in their daily lives. Jan was SUPER involved in what was going on in their schools from the get go.

So, in my passion, it may have come across that I feel that home education is the only way for parents to go. That was not my intent. For those of you who know me, I hope you realize that I was not out to criticize or hurt anyone. I love you my friends! I pray that we as Christian parents are constantly keeping ourselves in check no matter how we choose to educate our kids. Parents on both sides can do well or not do well...it's not the education method here...it's the parent involvement in their children's daily lives.

I hope that we are praying with and over our kids and using every experience to bring them to God. Their little lives, as well as ours are battlefields. Our enemy roams around like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour. May we be every ready to teach them and draw them to God, weather it's in the public classroom or in our own homes, discussing evolution or the man smoking crack in our alley.


On a lighter side:
Upon arriving home last Sunday we were greeted with this Sanford and Son delight:In our "neck of the woods" its common to put unwanted things next to dumpsters as a sign of giving things away. I did this awhile back with an old stroller. It was gone within 30 minutes. I have an inkling this stuff belonged to my next door neighbor. I just laughed when we saw it...yep, this is our neighborhood! He went a bit overboard don't ya think?!
As the saying goes, "One man's trash is another man's treasure!"














Anyone need a computer monitor or spare tire or nice retro flowered plastic chair?
How about a nice polka dotted elephant toy bin? There are 3 old basketballs, a soccer ball and old phone in there too!
~Rose

3 comments:

beckwanda said...

hey will you snag that elephant and bring it out when you come? you may need another plane ticket...
hahaha...

Starrs In Denver said...

Ha ha ha! I just got your voice mail Becky! Yeah, I have no idea what to name that guy...let me know if you come up with an idea. I think since he was abandoned that we could re-name him. The thought of buying a plane ticket for him and bringing him on a plane is so funny to me!
~Rose

Unknown said...

Now you got me wondering what article you're talking about. I know what you mean...I'm totally like-minded with you, girl! It's all about parental involvement, kinda what I was trying to say on my blog with the new policy in California. I wonder if I stepped on some toes too. :-)