Thursday, May 31, 2007

Where's A Man When You Need Him?

So this morning I put Levi to bed and went to the bathroom behind our kitchen to do my hair. I noticed the leaky sink and thought, "This is such a waste of water. The kids can wash at the kitchen sink. I'll just turn the water off to this sink till we get it fixed." I began to turn the valve and pop, I broke some rusty part and it started spraying and dripping and water was all over the floor in an instant. Well, I grabbed a kitchen towel to wrap it up and a bucket to catch the water. I called everyone I could think of. I figured I had to turn off the water to the whole house. I found it out front...this deep dark hole covered by a big metal top (like a mini man hole). I had to pray and get brave to try to turn the valve. Well, I was not strong enough and with no one around to help I had to call a plummer. I sat in the bathroom dumping bucketfulls of water into the toilet. Thank GOD the plummer arrived within 20 minutes and was able to fix it (and the leaky faucet) pretty quickly. So, $172.50 later, we're all fixed up! All's well that end's well I guess. Here are the before and after pics of the rusty part.


I have to give a shout out to my daughter Hope. She was a real trooper. She held the bucket under the sink while I tried to turn the water off and called the plummer. After, she offered to make lunch for herself and Owen and Emma. She even asked me if I wanted a sandwhich or something to drink. So sweet. She has the gift of hospitality for sure! Thank you God for answering my prayers and helping me be brave to stick my arm down that hole!

I just had to laugh about the whole thing. Tuesday we had a big rain and hail storm. I had gone to Costco to pick up a few things and was dressed in flip flops and shorts. As I left it was raining pretty hard, but Micah was borrowing our van and the other one was loaned out, so I had to get home so he could get to work. I decided to just make a run for it. I zipped up my sweatshirt and as soon as I stepped out into the parking lot it started hailing so hard. I ran with my cart to the van and a fast as I could unloaded. By the time I got to my door I was SOAKED. It was pretty funny. I've never been caught in weather like that before. WOW, it doesn't take long to get really wet. Here are a few pics that Desi took while I was gone.


~Rose

Once again, God shows Himself to be sufficient for all my needs!

3 comments:

Paul and Kameron Morton said...

I think Home Depot should offer classes or something for the "handy-man inept"... or at least something for girls to help us learn how to do stuff. I installed cabinet locks yesterday and that was quite possibly the closest I've come to swearing in a while (maybe having a baby in my face wasn't helping)... AFTER I called my dad to find out how to fit the power drill with the bit I wanted (duh), all the screws went in crooked. Siiiiiiigh. I'm right there with you, Rose. But I want to know how to be handy (and I mean besides knowing how to plunge a toilet)... like how to cut drywall! ;)

Hope has got to be the biggest encouragement- what a helper!!

Heather said...

We heard about that storm the day we left. It sounded prettu intense, they said that in one area they got 4 inches of hail. (not sure if it's true, but hey, it's what the news guy said on the radio.) We will definitly call you when we come back in June. We couldn't leave the dog for too long during the day.Oh yeah and when we did the BolderBoulder we saw where your brother lives! it was kinda fun...

McNeill Family said...

Oh yes, you so totally rock!!!! These stories are what great lives are made of!!!!