Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

For each new morning with its light,
For rest and shelter of the night,
For health and food, for love and friends,
For everything Thy goodness sends.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow. ~Melody Beattie


So, Today is Thanksgiving. I have fond memories of past Thanksgivings. Growing up we usually spent it with my mom's side of the family. Grandma Nina (in Lomita, CA) or Aunt Nina (in Carpinteria, CA) would host and all the aunts and uncles and cousins would gather for card games and the feast! I have 7 cousins on that side. Most years we would not all be together since one family is in Australia and another in Washington. But some years we were all together and then even more family of family would come. I loved it as a kid. The games, the conversation, the good food. It brings tears to my eyes when I think back on those fond memories.

As our family grows and now that we live in Denver, the past few Thanksgivings have been different. The Thanksgiving after 911 Desi spent in New York. Grandma Nina had passed away less than a week before 9/11 so we gathered around Grandpa Dave and tried to enjoy the holiday without the one who made it most special. Other years we have spent it with our church family in Denver. This year we find ourselves in California with Desi's family. His grandmother Maxine is in the hospital and won't be with us today. She's been in for almost a week now. They discovered an ulcer, black spots on her lungs and she has penumonia. She should get out tomorrow. Pray for her recovery! Desi is down there now with his mom and grandfather. We will have dinner together this afternoon. We are thankful to be here now and to have this time with Desi's parents, sister and grandparents.

Speaking of thankful, I love the focus of Thanksgiving. Giving thanks is good to do-all the time. It's amazing how it will put things into perspective when you are struggling with something. I pray that you are able to spend some time today (and each day) giving thanks to God from whom all blessings flow. Spend time with your family and friends. Turn the TV off and go on a walk. Talk. Pray. Look into the eyes of those you love and tell them what they mean to you. We do not know what tomorrow will bring. Make the most of today!

I thank you...my blog friends and readers. You are a blessing to me. I blog for soul adjustment and perspective. I hope that I do not paint this "perfect" picture of my life...but rather just honest depictions of little snippets of my life. The "highlights" if you will. Sometimes I confess my sins, my hopes, my strong beliefs and my dreams. Thank you for accepting me for who I am and joining me in my journey. I have enjoyed being a "part" of your lives as well.
~Rose


As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. ~John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Thanksgiving Day comes, by statute, once a year; to the honest man it comes as frequently as the heart of gratitude will allow. ~Edward Sandford Martin

Let us remember that, as much has been given us, much will be expected from us, and that true homage comes from the heart as well as from the lips, and shows itself in deeds. ~Theodore Roosevelt




3 comments:

Dana said...

Hi!-

I saw that you shared some similar interests as me, and thought you would be interested in my blog dedicated to women's health and fitness.

www.asizableapple.com

Anyway, I hope to see you reading soon!

Happy Thanksgiving!

- Dana

McNeill Family said...

Rose- You are a blessing too! Thanks for letting me peek in on your life! It is a blessing to know that we are not in this alone!!!!

melissa said...

Rosemary, I am so happy we found one another online and i love reading your blog! I wish I was more faithful in my posting and less afraid to be more transparent. So thank you for being so honest in your sharing and being an such an encouragement to your blog buddies!