Monday, September 03, 2007

Art Class

I found this really great book at the library that takes a look at famous works of art, gives a little background on the artist and piece and then on the following page gives a suggested art project for kids to do based on the famous piece. We have decided to do one a week. Art class is open to everyone in the house and Grandma Kate comes over to assist. We meet weekly on Tuesday mornings at 10am in our basement. Let me know if you want to join.

Last week was Van Gogh's Starry Night. As you can see in the photo below, the book suggested a scene that was similar. We sketched the landscape, added glue to acrylic paints and used forks and the end of our brushes to add textured lines. I'd like you to notice Owen's shirt. I'm not sure why I like it so much, but I do.
Emmaline's work
Owen's work
Hope's work
I fashioned a string on the basement ceiling to hang our work to dry. I just love how unique they came out while still similar in ways. We are having way too much fun doing this!
~Rose

8 comments:

McNeill Family said...

I love the Usborne Books! Thanks for the link, I am going to our library today with Abby to look for it! They turned out awesome, all artists but Emma had a little something special going on there!!

McNeill Family said...

Oh and the shirt....where did you get it?

Paul and Kameron Morton said...

I would LOVE to come to art class, but the drive is a little long for me. Starry Night is one of my favorites and I love your kids' renditions of it.

melissa said...

Awesome idea! I may steal it from you...we are trying to incorporate art into our schedule once a week as well, but I've yet to see if I like the curriculam I'm planning to use. I think I'll go look for this book now :) Thanks for sharing!

beckwanda said...

are all ears intact?

Devin D. said...

Hello STARRS!!!!!! I miss you all dearly. I hope all is well! i got your message back but I am sooooo busy and tired. I got a job at a school sooo I am pooped at the end of the day! tell the kiddos I said hello and BEDHEAD too!!! I hava blog now...I got rid of my myspace (too much drama!!!) lol anyway have a blessed week and I will talk to you one say soon, for sure!!! lol

Anonymous said...

Boy, those are some talented grandkids I have!!! Take after their mama's artistic talents! I'm so glad Kate is helping with this art class. Maybe some kids in the hood will join too. I love these pictures.
Thanks,
Grandma Jan

Anonymous said...

Love those projects. My Olivia sees patterns in concrete, on ceilings, etc., and says, "Look, Van Gogh swirls."
Blessings,
~Toni~