Friday, September 07, 2007

Art Class- Hendrick Avercamp

This week we looked at a piece of art painted by Hendrick Avercamp. He was a dutch painter born in 1585 who was deaf and mute. His winter scenes are truly amazing and enjoyable to look at. I had never heard of his work before I opened this book. I would love to see his work face to face. The kids learned about painting winter landscapes with watercolors. We washed the top in blue and dropped water to make clouds. The brown hilly land came next. Once that was all dry we used dark brown and straws to blow trees. Challenging for the kids, but fun.
Emma's Art
Owen's Art
Hope's Art
~Rose

4 comments:

McNeill Family said...

Is this the same Art Treasury book? Our local library did not have it. We have a whopping 1 Usborne book. I am going to check the other Austin area libraries because they can send it to ours. Very very cool artwork. I think the kids work is creative and fabulous!

Paul and Kameron Morton said...

I've never heard of that artist either, but when I saw the enlarged version of your pic, I was much impressed. Watercolors are my favorite medium (yah, like I have time to have a "medium" any more. Ha.), but to pull off something that detailed is amazing! The kids did fabulous work- you're going to have one heck of an art collection in the basement!!

ALL GONE said...

Amazing. U r the coolest mommy. U make me smile Rose. :)))))))))) Ur a Nina if I ever saw one, I just keep thinking, she would be so proud.

melissa said...

so great!!! I have been trying to look for that book, can you believe it is not at any of the surrounding libraries and I could not find it on Amazon either!?!