Wednesday, January 31, 2007

My nose is raw...

Disclaimer: This will be totally BORING for most of you to read. This is a mother thing and I just need to vent, so reader beware.

Today was no fun for me. It goes back even further than that. Last night was one of the WORST nights of my mother-life. Emma got sick last Friday and it has spread to all of us save Desi. Our noses are running and raw, our throats are sore and the kids all have hacking coughs. At least I don’t have the cough. Poor Levi was doing pretty well for a few days and then last night… He went down around 7pm (a little early for him) and was up around midnight. I did all I could for him and was just so tired that I put an ear plug in and let him cry, hoping he’d go to sleep. An hour later, no such luck. I get up with him and hold him…he needs to be swayed- not rocked- no I had to stand! Finally he was down only to awake a few hours later. Did I sleep those few hours? Of course not, due to my cold. We had another date that lasted a lot longer than I wanted it to, with LOTS of crying. I was in such a bad mood…thinking all sorts of bad things…battling to have a good attitude. When I get mad (which I was) I tend to sin with my mouth…say all sorts of horrible things that I don’t mean, just to get a reaction in case anyone (like Desi) is listening. Now, this is horrible and I am prayerfully trying to overcome. Last night I just yelled things like “I don’t like this. I hate this!” over and over again. So bad. I guess this is sort of a confession. Now you know how to pray for me! Levi finally settled down around 4:30 and was up again 2 hours later. Desi came to my rescue, being the most wonderful husband and father that he is. I got to get a few more hours of really needed sleep. Desi had been gone all day yesterday and was gone all day today as well. It was just a long day full of Levi crying. He awoke and cried till late this afternoon. Crying just grates on my nerves like crazy…especially after little sleep and feeling horrid. Needless to say, today is one of those days that at the end, I cannot believe I actually made it through. God is so good in the midst of my selfishness and sinfulness. All four kids are in bed asleep and I am able to sit for a minute and recharge. I know Levi may want another date or two tonight, but that’s ok. I have NOTHING to complain about. As I look around me, blessings are everywhere. To have four kids who are usually healthy☺, a husband who loves me unconditionally, clothes, food, shelter and best of all a heavenly Father who knows exactly how I am feeling and despite my sinfulness, seeks to love me and show me the way to go. I have never gone through refining as I am now, in raising the kids that God has given us. I thank God daily for Hope, Owen, Emmaline and Levi who in all their unique ways cause Desi and I to grow, die to self and seek God’s help and wisdom. We are on a journey, Desi and I, toward knowing God better- to loving Him and enjoying Him forever...and discipling our children towards the same end. It’s a wild ride with lots of ups and downs and we are enjoying every minute of it…well, not quite every minute!
~Rose

9 comments:

McNeill Family said...

Rose- I will be praying for you all day today! Mother's who read your blog will appreciate your honesty and transparency and realize that they are not alone in this struggle with sinful behavior! I think deep down inside we all want to know that we are not freaks! Ok maybe that is just me! Thank God for His Grace and Mercy! I have a long list of embarassing stories.....I can't believe I am loved unconditionally!

Starrs In Denver said...

Thank you Denise! Your prayers are appreciated! Last night went SOOOO much better. It is pretty rare to have 2 horrible nights in a row right?! Levi was up once for about a half hour. I can totally handle that! We all seem to be feeling better this morning- Praise God! Levi is even all smiles today :) Thanks also for your encouraging words...we mothers need so much encouragment and need to be open to encouraging other moms in our lives!
~Rose
P.S. Is there any snow left? ;)

McNeill Family said...

Not a drop of snow left. But it is 50 degrees which we are enjoying!-Have a great day today!

Denise

beckwanda said...

ok rose,
thanks for the dose of perspective!
i just have one sick kid who woke me up once last night and i think i said the same thing...
hmmm, looks like we can pray for each other, eh?

Paul and Kameron Morton said...

I TOTALLY do that too... only I throw stuff. Yah. BAD. And it is only been that bad since Aidan came along. My friend, if it was me, I would have been right there crying along with Levi. I guess that is why they use sleep deprivation as a torture tactic in the military (at least that is what Paul told me when I'd get hysterical after being woken up several times at night). God is infinite besides just in space and time- He is infinite in forgiveness, in love, in mercy, and -my personal favorite- in the grace we need to grow!

You're not alone...

p.s. should I send you some Kleenex with Lotion for your nose?? :)

Starrs In Denver said...

Thanks for the kind comments girls. It's nice to know I can be real and honest and have your support, prayers and encouragment. God is so good! Yeah, I think sleep deprivation coupled with the piercing cries of small ones is about the worst torture ever. I'd almost consider giving up a hand or arm if I knew I could sleep soundly the rest of my life! Kameron, my nose is doing much better...kleenex won't be necessary, but thanks! I've been rubbing it with neosporin every few hours :)

Thanks again girls! Love you, Rose

Jamie said...

Hey, this is Jamie Nielsen... I liked it! you know? I liked it cause its real... real is good... I dont like fake... So... good job... way to be real... In the future pick a worship song, and just sing... It works... for both of you!!!
I love you guys!
Jamie

the Phamily said...

hi rose,
wow i can totally relate!in both ways-sinning with my words especially in the middle of the night when i would rather be sleeping, and being up all night with sick kids. we were up wednesday night! pretty much the same story, but thank God this time i'm not sick. taliah has brochitis and the others just have the cold/cough going. i will definately be praying for you all!!!

melissa said...

aahhh...the trials and tortures of motherhood. Appriciated the vent. There is nothing harder than being a good parent while keeping a sane mind. I belive I go insane a few times a year..and that is with only two kids not four :)