Sunday, January 21, 2007

Why I Love Sundays

I just love Sundays. I haven't always been able to say that. Desi and I were talking on the drive home today about how much we love our gatherings. We have quite a dynamic group filled with people of different ages and different social and economical backgrounds. I love to hear my "family" pray and talk about what God is doing in their lives. Sundays used to be so stressful for me...doing the setup, kids ministry and tear down. I just hated the time and energy spent in doing "traditional" church out here. Now, don't get me wrong, there is a place for traditional churches and the people who go there...but for our family...house church it is. I love the intimacy, simplicity and peacefulness of the way we meet. We gather Sunday mornings to praise, pray, learn and discuss. We enjoy lunch together afterwards and more fellowship. I am encouraged as I listen and learn from others. We are able to lift up needs in prayer and then activly fill those needs. We usually have a few of the singles over Sunday afternoons for football and dinner, which we really enjoy. When you think about it, Jesus said where 2 or 3 are gathered in His name, He's there...so we really "do church" all day.

I feel that my (and our kids) world view is so much larger living here in the city and interacting with so many different types of people. I am just so thankful that God has me in the place I am supposed to be and that I am enjoying it. I believe He has given me this joy. There are days that are hard certaintly...but everyone can say that. I am growing through these experiences and thank God for His longsuffering towards me. Thank you to all who support us prayerfully and financially...we are blessed.

Hope's memory verse last week was:
"Do not say, "I'll pay you back for this wrong!" Wait for the Lord and He will deliver you."
This is a hard one for me...biting my tongue when I'd rather let it go free! Keeping myself patient and calm in the midst of turmoil! My new mantra: "I will stay calm, I will stay calm, I will stay calm" ;)

Any thoughts?
~Rose

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you have a great worship and fellowship each week. What an awesome to be fed by the Lord.

That verse is a good (well, they're all good right?). But this one is a great reminder for us. It is hard isn't it. It's so easy for me to come back with a snappy comment of my own. Maybe I'll join in your mantra with you.

melissa said...

Sounds so refreshing and exactly what we are longing for out here!
For me right now church is exhausting and sundays are one of my hardest days to get through...just saying that bums me out.
My verse for the last few years has been
"She who has knowledge spares her words and a womman of understanding is of a calm spirit."
proverbs 17:27

beckwanda said...

Rose and Melissa,
Those verses TOTALLY encouraged me so much right now!!! Thanks!
But I would lay off the mantra stuff, Rose, you sound like an Amway recruit! Just kidding!
Johnny's verse for this year so far has been, "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God." from provs. I can't go into all of it, but man is the Lord speaking to me right now...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, or is it that I am just listening for a change???? ok, I better go relax and read my biblia.
By the way, Johnny had his scan today and was TOTALLY still and so brave even though it was a bit scary and got to see his bones and muscles and kidneys which was exciting. We should have the results by wednesday. I will let you know. Thanks for praying...
Say hi to the great Desmondo.
Bye for now,
Your almost humble yet devoted sista,
B