Sunday, January 28, 2007

Will It Float?

Hope finished her first science book for school a few weeks ago. Her new book is all about water. Every Wednesday we learn something new about water and do some experiments. This week was about floating. It reminded me of Letterman’s bit “Will It Float?” have you seen it? Pretty dumb. Anyway, we gathered a bunch of small objects and guessed if they would float before we put them in the water.

Hope was most surprised with the apple...thinking it was heavy so it would sink.

We also discovered how large metal ships stay afloat. She took a Ziploc bag, filled it with air and tried to push it underwater. We felt the pressure from the water pushing back. We enjoyed a few other experiments as well.

I love home schooling Hope. At times it is really hard and the house stays messier so we can get our work done, but it’s worth it. I love seeing her learn. We use a great Bible based curriculum and this week we covered the Passover. We discussed what it might have been like for the Israelites to have to kill a lamb and put it’s blood on their doorposts. And those poor Egyptians…every firstborn male being killed…all because of stubborn Pharaoh. It’s amazing to talk to Hope about actual historical biblical events and see her perspective on it. We talked about Moses’ mother putting him in the Nile and how hard that must have been for her, but she trusted God and He watched over Moses and even made it possible for him to go back with is mother for a time. We talked about God’s people the Israelites and how they are called that because they are descendants of Jacob (renamed Israel). She asked if we were God’s chosen people and I told her about Jews and Gentiles and Jesus making a way for us to be adopted into God’s family because of His death on the cross for our sins.

I taught her how to pray her Bible memory verse which is Proverbs 3:5 “Dear Lord, help us to trust in You with our whole hearts and lives and to not lean on our own understanding, but know You are in control. Amen.”

I could go on and on. The point is I want to be able to come back to this when times are hard and remember God’s goodness and blessings.
~Rose

3 comments:

melissa said...

I am right there with you rose....some days i love homeschooling and cannot imagine doing anything different but there are days i am discouraged about how much work it can be or how unmotivated i am to do it better or as you mentioned how many other things have to be put on hold so we can get it done...and this is only kindergarden and one child being homeschooled! I know it is going to require more of me down the road. My guess is I will look back and miss these days so I better soak it up. There is no greater reward though then seeing your child's eyes light up with understanding or excitement over learning and knowledge, whether it be about math or the Lord. Those moments keep me going and remind me I am blessed.

beckwanda said...

ok i am for sure calling you about the homeschooling thing... stand by...

annie said...

Now I have that stupid, "Will it float, will it float..." song in my head.
You are such an amazing blogger! I don't check in for a couple days and WOW there's a lot to see. Love all the pictures of the kids and I am jealous of all that beautiful snow.
You make homeschooling look like a lot of fun. Good job!