Friday, June 22, 2007

The Fear of the Lord

I've been thinking about the "fear of the Lord" lately. Last week I did a scripture search on that phrase and jotted down all the benefits to fearing the Lord. It was really interesting. I am still mulling over what that looks like for me personally, but I know it involves trusting Him daily to be all that I need and to not look to other people, things or feelings to fill me. My thought life has been a battlefield lately and it's amazing how turning to prayer and the scripture really fills me. I came across this devotional this morning and was encouraged. My favorite part is the last two sentences. Boy do I sometimes miss living while I live and I hate wasted time...Lord, help me and those reading to redeem the precious time You have given us and daily live in holy reverence of Your amazing majesty all the while reminding ourselves that we are sons and daughters of the ONE TRUE KING!!!! May Your kingdom come on earth as it is in heaven!
~Rose

Faith's Checkbook by C.H. Spurgeon
Friday June 22, 2007

He with Us; We with Him

The fear of the Lord prolongeth days: but the years of the wicked shall be shortened. (Proverbs 10:27)

There is no doubt about it. The fear of the Lord leads to virtuous habits, and these prevent that waste of life which comes of sin and vice. The holy rest which springs out of faith in the Lord Jesus also greatly helps a man when he is ill. Every physician rejoices to have a patient whose mind is fully at ease. Worry kills, but confidence in God is like healing medicine.

We have therefore all the arrangements for long life, and if it be really for our good, we shall see a good old age and come to our graves as shocks of corn in their season. Let us not be overcome with sudden expectation of death the moment we have a finger-ache, but let us rather expect that we may have to work on through a considerable length of days.

And what if we should soon be called to the higher sphere? Certainly there would be nothing to deplore in such a summons but everything to rejoice in. Living or dying we are the Lord's. If we live, Jesus will be with us; if we die, we shall be with Jesus.

The truest lengthening of life is to live while we live, wasting no time but using every hour for the highest ends. So be it this day.

2 comments:

ALL GONE said...

Its ironic and interesting that you mention this BC......I have been going through the valley of fear. And not the good kind. But the entraping, stifaling, choking kind. Its like an uphill battle, and I do wonder how much of it IS linked with the MIND?! I have chosen to chant on a continuam: God has not give the spirit of fear; but of LOVE, POWER, AND AN SOUND MIND. Ha, woulden't that be a dream come true. But I wonder if I take it to the next level and focus on Fearing God instead. Maybe that was where the stuntedness happened :). Replace fear with FEAR. AhHa.

I love you! Today my mom sent me a stored box of my stuff, and in it were the pics from my divine Denver tripola. I was so tan, and so in LALAlove with your familia. Still am. MWAH.

Starrs In Denver said...

I love the way you write Dori...it's so comforting to read because it is really and truly you!
Love you tons!
~Rose