Sunday, August 19, 2007

Mothering

A friend emailed this to me recently. I loved it…especially the last line. How quickly I forget what an amazing task God has given me and just look at how unconvinced I am all the time! Truly I love my children, but sometimes-let’s be honest ladies- daily, they expose my sin!!! That’s not so fun. I am thankful though because I am driven to the cross and have to daily, hourly even, call on Him who knows me so well. This is my high calling for now: the godly training of my children. I can get so overwhelmed some days and just plain mad that they are so childish. I have to remind myself how young they are and that God is lovingly in control of it all. I see them maturing and get these moments where I can just live in that moment and they are so precious, you know. It’s hard to describe, but I have been praying that I can focus on the good and forget the bad and I have had moments of truly enjoying my children like never before. Talking to Hope and Owen and really focusing on them (aka: not doing anything else at the same time), or playing a game with Emma, or rolling a ball with Levi. I think it’s those small things where I completely focus on them that are the biggest boost for me lately as a mother. Well, here I am rambling again, so I’ll add the quote. Thanks to Laura E. for sending it my way!
~Rose

"O dear mothers, please understand that you have a very sacred trust reposed in you by God! He has in effect said unto you, "Take this child away, and nurse it for Me, and I will give thee thy wages" (Exodus 2:9). You are called to equip the future man of God, that he may be "thoroughly furnished unto all good works" (2 Timothy 3:17). If God spares you, you may live to hear that pretty boy speak to thousands, and you will have that sweet reflection in your heart that the quiet teachings of the nursery led the adult man to love his God and serve Him. Those who think that a woman detained at home by her little family is doing nothing, think the reverse of what is true. Scarcely can the godly mother quit her home for a place of worship. However, dream not that she is lost to the work of the church. Far from it, she is doing the best possible service for her Lord. Mothers, the godly training of your offspring is your first and most pressing duty. Christian women, by teaching children the Holy Scriptures, are as much fulfilling their part for the Lord as Moses did in judging Israel, or Solomon in building the temple." C.H. Spurgeon

3 comments:

the Phamily said...

thanks rose! very encouraging, and challenging. thanks for sharing. it is amazing isn't it, how our kids bring out our flesh so easily. but GOD is faithful,and much more longsuffering with me than i am with them. may we all strive to be more like HIM.
becky

beckwanda said...

amen to that and that!!!
thanks for the reminder rose!
love,
beckwanda

melissa said...

Always good to be encouraged and reminded of the value of what we are doing which in turn means to also recognize the weight of our actions and attitude. Thanks for sharing Rose!