Thursday, September 28, 2006

I did a load of laundry for Jesus on Tuesday.

We have this homeless friend, "Aunt Debi" that we've become friends with over the past year. She first met us when Emma was watering our rocks and she comments on that to this day! The kids love to say hi and give her hugs. We see Debi and her husband a few times a week. Tuesday morning she knocked on our screen door. After a little chit chat, she said she always wanted to see inside our house. With a little hesitation, I invited her in (Desi wasn't home). We showed her around the first floor and backyard. The kids were coloring at the table and talking to her and Hope asked if she was homeless. She said yes, but she has friends and family like us. Hope told her that when it rains again, she can sit on our porch to stay dry. Debi turned away from the table, put her hands to her face and started crying. I gave her a hug. She was overcome with emotion at how sweet we were. Debi is a great lady...probably in her late 50's or so, she keeps herself clean, doesn't abuse drugs or alcohol and has a job. When she saw our washer and dryer, she asked if I wouldn't mind if she could wash her favorite blanket. We proceeded to start a load for her. She came back later that day to pick it up and we gave her some of the cookies we made. She was so excited and told us she wasn't gonna share...they were all hers! All this to say, I must admit I was a bit uncomfortable to invite her in, but I felt a peace about it. The passage in Matthew 25 came to my mind, "For I was hungry, and you gave me meat: I was thirsty, and you gave me drink: I was a stranger, and you took me in: naked, and you clothed me: I was sick, and you visited me: I was in prison and you came to me....And the King shall answer and say to them, Verily I say to you, Inasmuch as you have done it unto the least of these my brethren, you have done it unto me." Therefore, I did laundry for Jesus!

Living in the city, it seems there is an innumerable amount of homeless begging for money, ect... My heart gets hardened to them sometimes, thinking they are taking advantage of people...using the money to get high, or drunk. I don't want to be like that. I remember something my dad told me. He gives as unto the Lord, cheerfully and feels that those he gives to are accountable to God for what they do with the gift. So, if I can bless Aunt Debi by doing a load of laundry for her and letting my kids give her hugs and cookies, well, I am gonna do it.

1 John 3:17 But whoever has the world's goods, and sees his brother in need, and closes his heart of compassion against him, how does the love of God remain in him?
~Rose

2 comments:

brent larson said...

master blogger!!!..rose.
thanks for your stories and photos...they always make my day.
lisa is on her way to denver...i wish i was with her.
love brent

Heather said...

Isn't it such an encouragment to know that God allows you to bless someone in the littlest ways? And it's great to hear how the little ones show such love to "Aunt Debi"