Saturday, December 02, 2006

Sabbath


Hope's 1st grade curriculum had us celebrating the Sabbath this past Friday. At sundown we gathered at the table and I lit the candles. It was supposed to be two, but we thought a bunch would be more fun. Eating dinner by candle light is great! I said a blessing, and then Desi blessed each child individually and then blessed me. He then blessed the wine and bread and we talked about the sacrafice that Jesus made on the cross for our sins. We partook of the bread and wine and then had dinner together. Sabbath is observed from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday and it's a time to rest. No work is done during this time! I think in today's society that would be pretty hard. It was really nice to start our evening that way and the kids loved it. I hope to do it again.
~Rose

No comments: