Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Pepper

It's high time I write about our neighbor Pepper. Her real name is Marilyn and she lives with her brother John (who's a really nice guy). There is a long confusing story about her nick-name that I don't really remember. She has grown children and many grandchildren, but she's still pretty young herself. She took to us right away and watches out for us. She has a drinking problem, althought I doubt she'd admit that. She stays home all the time and loves to watch tv and look out her window. She is a sweet heart and I try to take food over to them when I can...usually leftovers from large meals. She and John love it and always comment on how good it is...now I am not writing this to brag...just to set up this story.

I took over some caramel apple cake the other day (John was just getting home) and gave it to Pepper...we chatted for awhile and the kids looked at all her nick-nacks...lots of nick-nacks! She calls me the next day and says, "Now Rose, I don't want you to think I'm greedy. I started eating that caramel cake and I just couldn't stop. I ate the whole thing and John asked me where that cake that Rose brought over was and I told him I ate it all. Rose, that was so good, you could start your own business and people would pay for your cake. And don't you tell Martha Stewart, cuz if you did, I'd have to call the police on her....mmm, mmm, it's just too good."

I told her thanks and I'd bring some more of the cake over for John. She told me to wait till he got home, or she'd eat it all again! She then asked me if she got the ingredients, would I make one for her to take to her family's Thanksgiving? I told her no problem-I'd get the ingredients. So, I ask her today, when would she like me to bring her the cake on Thursday and she said whenever, that she'd keep it herself and eat it all-she didn't want to share it with her family! I told her I'd bring it by before lunch! She just cracks me up and I'm so glad to have her as a neighbor and friend.

I also saw Aunt Debi today. We had just put up the Christmas lights on the porch and she told me I could have waited till her birthday (the 27th). I told her happy early birthday and she told me that maybe we could make her a cup cake and I said sure. She said chocolate was her favorite. So, the kids and I'll be baking chocolate cupcakes on Sunday for Aunt Debi! At least she doesn't beat around the bush...just comes right out and asks for what she wants...I love it!

~Rose

No comments: